The First Tee of the East Bay Needs Volunteers!
The First Tee of The East Bay (TFTEB)
Mission: To positively impact the lives of young people in the Oakland metropolitan area by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values, and promote healthy choices through the game of golf.
TFTEB NEEDS your help!
Please help us maintain a ratio of 5 students to 1 adult and help make a difference in the lives of students in the Oakland and Hayward area.
The First Tee Life Skills Experience: The First Tee Life Skills Experience is TFTEB’s core program, and it is offered in three 8-week sessions per year. Students attend on a weekly basis after school or in the summer at three Oakland municipal golf courses, Lake Chabot, Metropolitan Golf Links, and Montclair as well as Mission Hills and Skywest in Hayward. Through a progression of lessons, students develop nine “Core Values”— honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, respect, confidence, responsibility, perseverance, courtesy, and judgment. Each lesson also integrates healthy habits, physical fitness, and of course, golf skills. As participants build their skills and demonstrate the Core Values, they graduate to progressively higher levels of the program with more advanced golf instruction and age appropriate life lessons. In addition to the golf and life skill programs, TFTEB offers various golf and non-golf field trips and activities throughout the year.
Who Participates in TFTEB?
The First Tee of The East Bay partners with 17 Oakland schools, 4 Hayward school, and three youth development agencies to bring girls and boys, ages 6-17, to the program. The geographic area served includes Oakland and Hayward CA, with an emphasis on lower-income neighborhoods and schools. TFTEB aims to make its programs accessible to children of all socioeconomic levels and all physical ability levels, including special-needs students. Currently, 82% of students are receiving a scholarship to participate in TFTEB, due to financial need.
· “The First Tee is awesome. I recommend it to anybody, they have amazing coaches.”
· “Thank you guys for the responsibilities I have learned. It means a lot to me that you guys care.”
· “The First Tee has improved virtually every aspect of my daily life.”
· “I had lots of fun at The First Tee. It is amazing! It taught me how to be honest with myself and show good sportsmanship. Thank you!”
· “This place makes me feel like I’m at home. I love golf!”
· “This is the best program I have ever been to!”
· “I saw an improvement in her social interactions with adults- more confidence and self assurance, more polite, and better body language.”
· “The coaches are amazing & he loved the games and activities.”
· “I loved everything! Loved the life skills lessons mixed with excellent (and patient!) instruction in a fun environment.”
· “I never thought my son would be able to have these opportunities and be a golfer.”
· “This is a really rewarding experience being able to make a difference in the lives of these kids.” -Coach Carol
TFTEB is Growing!
Parents and school administrators have recognized the value of this experience to their children, and the demand for the programs outweighs TFTEB’s current volunteer capacity. To better meet the needs of this community, TFTEB will need to increase the after-school and weekend volunteer team to over 100 coaches/mentors.
Volunteer Coach and Mentor:
· Volunteer coaches assist the lead coaches in delivering Golf Skills, and The First Tee Life Skills Experience through fun and engaging golf games.
· Volunteer coaches also serve as mentors and role models throughout the 8-week session through their behavior and demonstration of The First Tee Nine Core Values.
· TFTEB requests that volunteers commit to at least one day a week to help coach/mentor for 2½ hours per day.
· We strongly encourage volunteers to coach/mentor on the same day of each week to help build a relationship with the same group of participants.
· Ps…You do not need to be an experienced golfer.
· We offer training before each 8-week session with the option of National training as well.
2015 Fall Program Schedule:
· Volunteer Orientation/Chapter Training – September 12th from 9am-12pm @ Metropolitan Golf Links.
· Fall Session starts September 21st and ends on November 14th
o Each student comes to class once a week for 8 weeks.
o Classes run Monday-Thursday at Lake Chabot Golf Course, and Metropolitan Golf Links from 4-5:30 PM.
o Monday through Wednesday at Montclair Golf Course from 4-5:30 PM.
o Wednesday and Thursday at Mission Hills Golf Course from 4-5:30 PM.
o Tuesday and Wednesday at Skywest Golf Course from 3-5:30 PM
o Saturday classes are also available and run from 11am-12:30 PM and 1-3PM at Lake Chabot Golf Course and Metropolitan Golf Links.
o Saturday classes at Hayward are available from 8:30am-10:00 AM at Skywest and Mission Hills
Volunteers Help Put Oakland and Hayward Youth on a Positive Path for Life.